How to Say Plaster in English: A Comprehensive Guide

In this guide, we will explore different ways to say “plaster” in English, both formally and informally. While there may be variations in regional terminology, we will focus primarily on the most commonly used terms. Whether you are a language learner or simply curious about the English language, this guide will provide you with a wealth of tips and examples.

Formal Ways to Say Plaster

When it comes to formal language, it is important to use precise and proper terms. Here are some formal ways to say “plaster”:

  1. Plaster: The most common and formal term for the white mixture used to cover walls and ceilings.
  2. Render: Another formal term used primarily in British English, which refers to applying plaster-like material to external walls.
  3. Stucco: A formal term more commonly used in North America to describe a type of decorative plaster often used for exteriors.

Informal Ways to Say Plaster

In informal settings, people often use simpler and more colloquial terms. Here are some informal ways to say “plaster”:

  1. Mud: Widely used in informal contexts, especially in North America, to refer to plaster or joint compound used for patching walls or ceilings.
  2. Putty: Another informal term used mainly in British English to describe a type of plaster-like material used for filling cracks or holes.
  3. Spackle: Frequently used in North American English to refer to a lightweight plaster-like substance used for repairing small holes or cracks.

Regional Variations

While the terms mentioned above are widely used, it is worth noting some regional variations in terminology:

In Scotland, you may often hear the term harling instead of “render” or “plaster.” Similarly, in some parts of Australia and New Zealand, plasterboard might be used instead of “plaster” to describe the material used for covering walls and ceilings.

Tips and Examples

Here are some handy tips and examples to help you use the term “plaster” in various situations:


  • Use “plaster” when referring to the standard material for covering walls and ceilings.
  • When discussing decorative plaster, specifically mention “stucco” in North American contexts.
  • For specific repairs, consider using informal terms like “mud,” “putty,” or “spackle” based on your geographic location.
  • Remember that regional variations may exist, so it is always helpful to be aware of the local terms.


Formal: The walls of this historical building have beautifully maintained plasterwork.

Informal: Can you grab some mud from the garage to fix these small holes in the drywall?

Regional Variation: In Scotland, they prefer to harl the external walls rather than using traditional plaster.

“My DIY project requires some spackle to repair the minor cracks in the wall.”

By utilizing these tips and examples, you will be able to confidently use the term “plaster” in English, whether formally or informally, and adapt to any regional variations you may encounter.

⭐Share⭐ to appreciate human effort 🙏
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Scroll to Top